Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Events & Interpretation

Recent events of my sickness have kept me from posting much these days... Lying in bed with the evil flu has even prevented reading my new books. I found some odd sale in a random bookshop only to discover that what they were selling was BRILLIANT! I picked up volume 3.4 and 4.1 of Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics (Brand new in soft cover) for 10 pounds. I then discovered a softcover of Barrett's ICC commentary on Acts 1-14 for 4 pounds (Brand new). I think I must have spent about 30pounds and found some BRILLIANT books, all brand new, and have now added them to my library. I can't figure out how or why they are so CHEAP, but I'm not complaining. I even found a copy of Paul and the Law by Thielman, for like 3 pounds. It was ridiculous.
More to the point of this post though: Michael Pahl has a little gem Event and Interpretation, which is well worth pondering. My Nemesis Eddie will love it...
I'm still trying to crack Gal 3:20, as well as the whole of 10-14, but I'll post more on that later. I think Richard Hays is one of the best commentators on Galatians, but I haven't read Martyn yet and Hays seems to be building on Martyn's shoulders.
On the other side of the field, before I got sick I was thoroughly enjoying Goldingay's Israel's Gospel, which I think is excellent. Not sure about Israel's Faith, because it's far more systematic, whereas I'm enjoying the Narrative approach. His section on Creation is superbly written, so that even my wife was enjoying it!
Anyway, back to bed... Hope to post soon. Take care...

No comments: