Thursday, August 04, 2005

Stuff & Stuff

Greetings and it's so good to be home...
Well, kind of. There is much work to be done but I couldn't help but blog about the following article and interviews reproduced at the Journal of Philosophy and Scripture. There are two particularly interesting interviews with Ed Sanders on Paul, Context and Interpretation as well as one with Dom Crossan about Paul and Empire. There is also an interesting article on Empire and Eschaton, but the merits of this article are questionable. Notably, the slant of the journal affects the questions being asked and thus the answers delivered, but I'm glad that scholars are taking more notice of the philosophical issues involved in Biblical studies. Tom Wright and Ben Meyer have done a fab job of highlighting the need for well grounded philosophical starting blocks for effective historical criticism and there is a serious need for this. Thus I concur with Bird in his remarks about Critical Realism.
I've just received a copy of R. Bauckham's Bible and Mission: Christian Witness in a Postmodern World and it seems to complement rather well Tom Wright's little book on Scripture and the Authority of God. I hope to blog on these later, but more importantly, I hope to blog on the array of book on the Roman Empire, Augustus and Tiberias that I got while I was in England. But that will have to wait for a little bit, while I read them!
By request, my wish list is also coming... There is hope of getting some MORE books after all - if these can be sourced and delivered...
ciao

No comments: