Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Cities of the Apocalypse

Doing some research on a few of the cities mentioned in John's apocalypse and I came across:

My main interest this week will be to explore the cities of Pergamum, Thyatira, & Sardis within the story of Revelation. Osbourne and Witherington will be my faithful guides [Bauckham's Theology doesn't really address this...], as Aune & Beale are currently residing on my shelf in SA. Oh, the joys of having one's library spread across the planet! :/

I wonder if Alan Bandy shouldn't do a Top 10 Books/Articles on Revelation. Much like the ones done for Jesus and Paul, see Michael Pahl's list. Anyway, if I find anything interesting, I'll post on it then - and those in the know can offer their various critiques...

4 comments:

Alan Bandy said...

Great list Sean! I was aware of most of them, but not all of them. I love online resources because you can search them quickly. I will put some thought into do a Top 10, except I think I would categorize them by topics (i.e., use of OT, Theology, themes, etc...).

Sean said...

This sounds great. If you REALLY want to be helpful, you could also note which books/commentaries are helpful for preaching a series. I'm looking at Keener's NIV application at the moment, as I really enjoy Keener's work. But this is a different kind of commentary. Thoughts?

metalepsis said...

You might want to check out Steve Moyise's articles on his website here is a very intersting example "Does the Author of Revelation Misappropriate the Scriptures?".

Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for the link. I linked to your links at my blog today. Peace.