Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Cities of the Apocalypse

Doing some research on a few of the cities mentioned in John's apocalypse and I came across:

My main interest this week will be to explore the cities of Pergamum, Thyatira, & Sardis within the story of Revelation. Osbourne and Witherington will be my faithful guides [Bauckham's Theology doesn't really address this...], as Aune & Beale are currently residing on my shelf in SA. Oh, the joys of having one's library spread across the planet! :/

I wonder if Alan Bandy shouldn't do a Top 10 Books/Articles on Revelation. Much like the ones done for Jesus and Paul, see Michael Pahl's list. Anyway, if I find anything interesting, I'll post on it then - and those in the know can offer their various critiques...

4 comments:

Alan S. Bandy said...

Great list Sean! I was aware of most of them, but not all of them. I love online resources because you can search them quickly. I will put some thought into do a Top 10, except I think I would categorize them by topics (i.e., use of OT, Theology, themes, etc...).

Sean du Toit said...

This sounds great. If you REALLY want to be helpful, you could also note which books/commentaries are helpful for preaching a series. I'm looking at Keener's NIV application at the moment, as I really enjoy Keener's work. But this is a different kind of commentary. Thoughts?

metalepsis said...

You might want to check out Steve Moyise's articles on his website here is a very intersting example "Does the Author of Revelation Misappropriate the Scriptures?".

Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for the link. I linked to your links at my blog today. Peace.