Monday, December 19, 2005

Revelation - Stuff

I've been meaning to get Contours Of Christology In The New Testament so that I can read Aune's chapter on the Christology of Revelation, but now Alan Bandy has saved me some work [although, I'll probably still read Aune's chapter] by posting a summary of Aune & the Christology of Revelation.
Here's a list of all the resources I've collected so far on Revelation this month. I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I've found so far that are worthwhile.

Steve Moyise on Revelation

Dissertations

  • Letseli, Tankiso Letseli - The Kingship of God as a theological motif in the hymns of the Apocalypse of John.
  • Mnisi, Mhingwana George - How God takes responsibility for his church in this world with reference to Revelation 11.
  • Manikam, Terrel - From downfall to victory: the worship situation in Revelation 17:1-19:10.

Articles on the Apocalypse

Blogs

And of course, one should always keep a close eye on Café Apocalypsis.

From my cursory reading the most helpful commentaries on Revelation thus far have been [in order of easy to difficult]
    • G. B. Caird, The Revelation of St. John [I'm biased towards Caird and I don't agree with all of it but it's still a very stimulating commentary by a master exegete]
    • Craig Keener, NIV Application Commentary: Revelation [Best preaching commentary on Revelation I've found]
    • Ben Witherington, Revelation [Skips issues but helps you to actually understand the text, very helpful introduction and bibliography]
    • Grant Osbourne, Revelation [Most of the time summarises the major views and then explains his choice of exegesis]
    • David Aune, Revelation [Comprehensive background and parallels but I wonder if he doesn't miss the forrest for the trees at times.]

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my grubby paws on Beale's tome yet, but hope to in the near future. The best little book I've read on Revelation has to be Bauckham's Theology of the Book of Revelation. I reckon if one reads this book, one is more than half way to understanding what Revelation is actually about. But this is all I've read and so I'm still an apocalyptic baby...

No comments: